Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Creature....(poem 1991)

First, a disclaimer: this was my very first poem, in 7th grade! Please know I was reading a lot of John Saul in those days...I also didn't keep the rhyming scheme intact throughout...and this has been edited slightly from its original version!

The rain pours down,
With a painfully pelting sound,
As I sit alone at my window,
Watching the storm roll by.

Suddenly comes the thunder,
That shatters the sound of rain,
Blindingly comes the lighning,
That slashes its light of pain.

Rap, rap, slowly on the door I hear,
Penetrating my vulnerable soul,
Rap, rap, it comes again, I hear,
Making me cringe and my eyes roll.

Slowly I stand, knees shaking,
And I shuffle to the door,
Rap, rap, it comes again,
And I feel my heart sink to the floor.

Slowly I open the creaking door,
Coming face to face with a creature,
Who has green sparking lights for eyes,
And horrid indistinguishable features.

His limp hair hangs past his shoulders,
His chest heaves with every breath,
He lets out a single moan colder,
Than the rain that pours.

With a muffled cry I turn,
Trying to close the door,
But the creature who threatens,
Only steps inside and roars.

I run my fastest to my room,
Trying to escape this horror,
This horror that chases me, unending terror,
And I slam against the wall.

The creature, he pins me tightly,
Against the hard stone wall,
Then crashes me to the concrete,
And I sink into darkness - forever,
Forever more.

No comments:

Post a Comment